Adjustable Bed Questions
Adjustable Bed Questions & Answers
1. Why is an adjustable bed better than a regular bed?
A regular bed is a flat cushioned surface, and yet our bodies have many significant curves. Flat surfaces do not provide the necessary support for these various curves, particularly in the lumbar, neck and leg regions. The result: tossing and turning during the night, the most common reason people don't sleep well or feel refreshed in the morning. This restlessness is often caused by uncomfortable pressure points developing at various support points of the body, due to a bed that does not conform to the body's natural curves. Pressure Points result in restricted circulation, leading to discomfort -- and we toss and turn to find a more comfortable position.
Our adjustable bed sleep systems address this problem in various ways. First of all, our mattresses all have supportive layers of memory and/or latex foam. Soft comfort foams in particular conform to the shape of your body in different ways, relieving pressure points and giving you a feeling of floating while sleeping. Secondly the adjustable bases allow you to put your body in a more natural position for sleep. In studies conducted on astronauts sleeping in zero gravity environments, it was discovered that they slept with their heads slightly elevated for easier breathing and their knees were naturally bent to take pressure off the lower back -- which allows for increased circulation. Only an adjustable bed can reproduce this natural position for better sleep.
2. How will an adjustable help me sleep better?
By keeping your body in a more natural position, the pressure on your skeletal frame is reduced by 85%. By alleviating this pressure your body is able to relax into a deeper and more restful sleep. This position also allows for better circulation, easier breathing, increased blood flow to the heart, and an overall reduction of aches and pains. Our customers report waking up feeling more refreshed, mentally alert and happier because they slept soundly and deeply.
3. Can an adjustable bed help my health?
Yes. Our adjustable sleep systems have proven to provide many health benefits. The following are just a few of the health benefits found while using an adjustable bed:
- Lower back problems alleviated by sleeping in a more natural position with the legs elevated and pressure taken off the lumbar spine.
- Circulation increased by reducing the pressure points caused by sleeping on a hard flat surface.
- Edema, the condition of abnormal fluid volume in the tissues, may be reduced by elevating the legs to stimulate the excess fluid's re-entry back into the circulatory system.
- Asthma and breathing difficulties may be greatly reduced by the upper body being elevated to reduce the pressure on the lungs. The increased circulation and the reduced edema may also help to reduce any fluid build-up in the lungs.
- Acid Reflux, the condition of the lower esophageal sphincter relaxing to allow harsh stomach acids to leak back up into the esophagus, may be alleviated by elevating the head at least 6 inches during sleep, keeping those stomach juices where they belong -- in the stomach!!
- Other problems an adjustable bed may help to alleviate:
Neck and shoulder pain
Restless Leg Syndrome
4. How do I pick the right adjustable bed? Are they all the same?
Our Adjustable Bed Systems consist of two parts, the Mattress and the Adjustable Electric Platform. Most modern Adjustable Bed Frames offer a basic set of features, while each specific model offers its own unique options -- one of which will suit your lifestyle better than others. Adjustable Mattress styles are each unique, the Majestic Comfort being quite different from the ComfortMax, the Perfect Comfort, and the iSense alternatives.
First pick your mattress by looking over our fine selection or speaking with one of our Sales Agents at (800) 508-1008. Our mattresses are engineered to work specifically with our adjustable platforms. Each is made from durable specialized foams, and has been designed to alleviate pressure points, encourage proper spinal alignment, provide a breathable sleeping surface.
Next pick your platform from our four options available -- all made by USA Company Leggett & Platt. Each of these platforms comes its own set of options including a cordless remote, massage, memory settings, wall-hugger (maintains position relative to wall/nightstand when elevated), and many more.
5. Aren't adjustable beds just for older people?
Absolutely Not! Seventy percent of all beds sold in Europe are adjustable beds. Europeans are well acquainted with the health and lifestyle benefits of adjustable bed systems. This trend in now sweeping the USA. With our increasingly active lives, people all over the country are now realizing the enormous benefits of owning an Adjustable Sleep System. Having a product that improves health, provides deeper sleep and gives an ultra-comfortable place to read, watch TV or work on a laptop, is not just for older folks. It's for everyone, even kids!!
6. How many pounds of weight will the adjustable bed platform support?
All of our adjustable electric bed frames now support up to 850 lbs. Although it is generally not recommended to use any device at maximum capacity regularly, Leggett & Platt builds these frames tough and warrants their rated capacity.
7. Can you clean under the adjustable platform?
Yes! Cleaning under the adjustable bed platform is made easy by the 7 3/4" clearance so you can easily vacuum underneath the raised platform. Each platform also comes with easily adjustable legs.
8. Can the adjustable bed platform fit into an existing bed frame?
Yes. Some of the frames are specifically designed to fit inside an existing frame -- please see the Adjustable Beds page for details. If you have an odd size bed, please contact our Sales Agents with the measurements to your bed, just to make sure that your new adjustable bed will fit inside your existing bed.
9. Can I attach our existing headboard to the adjustable platform?
Yes. All of our adjustable frames come with headboard mounts.
10. How long will it take to receive our new adjustable sleep system?
We realize that many of those who are ordering an adjustable bed may need it to arrive quickly. In most cases your mattress and adjustable bed platform will arrive in about four weeks. We ship from North Carolina, and so for those living at a greater distance from there it could take up to six weeks.
11. Does it come with a 30-day trial?
No, we can not offer a Trial Period on the Leggett & Platt adjustable bed. It does come with one of the best warranties in the industry: In the first year all parts and labor as well as shipping of those parts is free. See Leggett & Platt Adjustable Comfort Warranty.
12. Do the different models also look different?
Most models do look quite similar, though there will be unique characteristics to each of the different models -- most especially coloring, and remote control style. Our Adjustable Bed page features pictures of each model.
13. I see that these frames come in a Twin XL, Full, Full XL, Queen, Regular King (split) and Cal King sizes. Are other sizes available?
We offer all adjustable bed models in standard bed sizes. It is possible to special order some custom sizes in adjustable platforms and mattresses -- specifically the Split Queen and Split Cal King sizes. Please call one of our Sales Agents to receive a quote.